Lapis Legit Hadi Tuwendi ( Thousand Layer Cake )

Author: Mel // Category: , ,



This is the famous Indonesian Lapis legit I found on the net and the recipe belongs to Chef Hadi Tuwendi. Believe it or not, the recipe calls for 60 eggs. Please try not to balk at the amount of eggs used. Out of curiosity, I tried it and I can honestly say it wasn't bad at all. It was very rich and the texture was satisfyingly how a lapis cake should be; soft, springy (kenyal), moist and the taste was deliciously rich. This cake is definitely not made to be eaten in big sized portions. Just a few small thin slices at a time is enough to satiate your appetite.

I recommend anyone looking for a Lapis cake recipe, to make this one even if just to satisfy your own curiosity in how this outrages 60 egg Lapis tastes like!Anyway, I didn't add any preservatives, made it on a Saturday and the cake was finished(by 2 people in the household) after the 6th day being left out of the fridge. It was still good. In fact, it tasted better the longer it was "aged".

I am sorry for the poor quality of the pictures taken. These were uploaded from a camera phone. If it was up to me surfing the net, one of the factors influencing my decision whether to follow a certain recipe very much depends on how good the pictures look like. In time, I will get a proper camera and upload better quality ones. I know it doesn't look very tempting but people who knows me trusts me when I say a particular dish is good or not. So knock yourselves out dear readers, for here comes the recipe........

Title again,

Lapis Legit

Ingredients:-
700 gms butter
900 gms egg yolk
430 gms castor sugar
50 gms full cream milk powder
60 gms Hong Kong/Pau flour
3 tbsp condensed milk
1 tsp bumbu spekkoek/ store bought mixed spice/make-your-own spice mix
1 gm salt
1 tsp vanilla extract/flavor/essence
2 tsp egg yellow colouring
walnuts or almond slices to sprinkle on top of cake

The top is the recipe in its original form. I made a slight variation by replacing some of the flour with almond flour, just for kicks. How much of the flour I replaced? It is up to you, to your own liking but I only replaced 20 gms.
I dropped the salt as I was using salted butter, added 1 tbsp ovalette (emulsifier) and another tsp of my own home made spice mix on top of the given recipe. In my opinion, even a couple more tsp of the spice won't hurt and even better, as the aroma comes out beautifully after a day or two.

Method:-
  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees
  • Beat butter, condensed milk and vanilla extract till fluffy and creamy. Set aside
  • Beat the egg yolk and add sugar a little at a time and then the ovalette and egg colouring. Continue beating till the mixture is fluffy and thick.
  • Add the butter into the egg mixture. Mix well.
  • Add the sifted Hong Kong Flour, almond flour, full cream milk powder and mixed spice into the batter. Blend the mixture well.
  • Use a 22cm x 22cm x 8cm buttered and bottom lined pan and turn down the oven to 180 degrees once the batter is ready.
  • Another thing, use the heat from the top grill only and bake each layer using 1/4 cup batter each time so that the layers are even. (Mine wasn't so even as I used a cooking ladle n sometimes I scooped more than for other layers as I was getting lazy at some point during grilling)
  • If there is any bubble forming during the grilling, don't worry, just poke it gently and flatten the layer with the back of a spoon or what I call a flattener(I don't know the name for the contraption but you can enquire at the baking supplies shop)
  • The last layer, sprinkle some of those almond slices before popping the pan into the oven again. I did not decorate my top most layer.
  • You don't need to brush some additional butter on top of each cooked layer. The butter in this recipe is already enough to make the cake moist and oily.Not THAT oily.

Okay, I think I'm done for the night. It's late. I'll review my page tomorrow and fix what needs to be fixed and add more tips and information. Also, I will put in the recipe for the spice mix. I know you want it, right??? So much better than the store bought ones......


PS I am not an English Teacher and English is my second language.So, I may make some grammar mistakes along the way. What the heck!

2 Responses to "Lapis Legit Hadi Tuwendi ( Thousand Layer Cake )"

Food For Tots Says :
March 14, 2010 at 12:41 AM

This kuih lapis looks absolutely gorgeous! By using 60 eggs in making it, I'm sure it tastes heaven!

Unknown Says :
July 25, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Can you pls post the recipe for the spice mix? :)

Post a Comment